Dook Guarantees an Efficient Visa Process
We make your urge to travel worthwhile with our visa expertise, robust methods and easy processes. Select your destination to know about the visa requirements.
United States Tourist Visa
Passport Issuing Country
Country of Residence
Visa On Arrival
2-3 Business Days
Minimum of one month and maximum of 6 months
From 6 months to 10 years
Documents Required for United States Visa
The B-1/B-2 visitor visa is for people travelling to the United States temporarily for business (B-1) or for pleasure or medical treatment (B-2). Generally, the B-1 visa is for travellers consulting with business associates, attending scientific, educational, professional or business conventions/conferences, settling an estate or negotiating contracts. The B-2 visa is for travel that is recreational in nature, including tourism, visits with friends or relatives, medical treatment and activities of a fraternal, social or service nature. Often, the B-1 and B-2 visas are combined and issued as one visa: the B-1/B-2.
Documents Required for the US Visitor Visa (B-1 & B-2)
- Duly filed online non-immigrant DS-160 application form
- Original Indian passport with a minimum validity of 6 months beyond your intended stay in the US; should have at least one blank page to affix the visa. If more than one person is included in your passport, each person requiring a visa must submit an application.
- One recently clicked coloured photograph with white background is to be uploaded while you apply online through the DS-160 form.
- Visa payment receipt proving the fee paid for a nonimmigrant US visa application
- Previous US Visas (if any)
- In case travelling on a business visa, all the documents above along with an Invitation letter from the host company, covering letter from the employer along with bank statements and pay slips will be required
- Invitation letter from a family in the US that you are staying with
- Also, bring along photocopies of your relative's proof of status (like the Green Card, valid visa and more alike).
- Travel itinerary along with accommodation proof and flight reservation (if booked)
- If you are planning to come through a sponsored trip to the US, you will have to present the valid proof. The following in such case must be submitted:
● Letter for Affidavit
● Employment Letter
● Recent Pay slips
● Bank Letter showing the account information, the total amount of money deposited during the last year and the current balance
- In case of any students/ minors travelling, the school/College ID card and a No Objection Certificate (NOC) from the parent along with ID proof of parents will be required
** After your documents are collected and submitted to the consular office, you will need to go through a visa interview taken by the consular officer at the Embassy. This interview will help them determine whether you are qualified to receive a visitor visa or not. Besides this, your fingerprint scans will be done at the embassy as a part of the application process. You will expectedly be informed about the issuance of the visa. If approved and issued, it will take up to 2-3 business days to process your US visitor visa.
United States Visa Eligibility Criteria
Who qualifies for the US Visitor Visa?
If you are applying for a B-1/B-2 visa, you must demonstrate to a consular officer that you are eligible for a U.S. visa in accordance with the U.S. Immigration and Nationality Act (INA). Section 214(b) of the INA presumes that every B-1/B-2 applicant is an intending immigrant. You must overcome this legal presumption by showing:
- That the purpose of your trip to the US is for a temporary visit, such as business, pleasure, or medical treatment
- That you plan to remain in the United States for a specific/ limited period of time
- That you have evidence of funds to cover your expenses while in the US
- That you have a residence outside the US, as well as other binding social or economic ties, that will ensure your return abroad at the end of your visit
United States Visa FAQs
- 1. Do Indians need a visa to enter the US?
Yes. It is mandatory for the Indian Nationals to the United States to have a visa to be able to obtain entry into the country. The type of visa required primarily depends on the nature of the visit. Most of the visa applications for tourism and business purposes are the visitor non-immigrant visas (B-1 & B-2) that grant people entry to the United States for a set period of time. There are other types of visa as well like immigrant visa, student visa, work visa and more and it is therefore, important for the Indian traveller to apply for the right category according to their visiting needs.
2. Can I do a job in the US on a visitor visa?
A person traveling to the US on a visitor visa (B1/B2) is not allowed to accept employment in any forms or work in the United States.
3. Do I have to pay the US visa fee before the embassy interview?
While filling up your DS-160 form, you will be required to pay the stipulated visa fee in order to block/schedule an appointment in the embassy. Before applying, do keep in mind that the US Visa fee that you pay will be non-refundable, even if your visa is rejected or you decide to cancel your travelling plan.
4. I have been granted a B-1/ B-2 visa. That guarantees my entry into the US, right?
Applicants should be well-aware about the fact that no visa guarantees entry into the United States until you have a go-ahead from the immigration authorities at the respective airports. They have a right reserved to either allow or deny access into the country and decide whether the person appears to be admissible.
5. Is it possible to get my US visa extended?
In order to extend your stay in the United States (US), you must file a request with U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) on the Form I-539, Application to Extend/Change Nonimmigrant Status before your approved stay expires. If you remain in the United States longer than the approved period, you may be banned from returning and/or you may get deported from the United States.
6. Should I buy my ticket in advance before applying for the US visa?
The embassy or the visa agency ensures no guarantee that you will be given the US visa or not. It is therefore advised not to make final travel plans or purchase the tickets until you have a visa in hand.
7. I have a valid US visa in an expired passport. Do I re-apply for the visa after getting the new passport?
A valid U.S. visa in an expired passport is still valid. Unless canceled or revoked, a visa is valid until its expiration date. If you have a valid visa in your expired passport, do not remove it from your expired passport. You may use your valid visa in your expired passport along with a new valid passport for travel and admission to the United States.
8. What documents does an Indian national need to submit for a US tourist visa?
An Indian traveller applying for the US Visitor visa has to carry the following documents along during the interview:
● Original valid passport and old passports if any
● One passport-size coloured photograph taken as per the specifications
● Filled DS-160 Visa application form with a stamp from the Visa Application Centre (VAC) on the confirmation page
● Proof of sufficient funds to show the applicant can manage the expenses of/during the trip (bank statements)
● Payment receipt of the visa fee paid
● A valid identity proof
● Any document proof stating your purpose of travelling to the US
● Detailed travel itinerary along with accommodation proof
● A copy of last year's ITR
● A Business card (if the applicant is travelling for business)
● Letter of employment on official letterhead from the employer (if the applicant is travelling for business)
● Invitation letters from relatives or sponsor company inviting the applicant to the US
● If applicant is a government employee, an NOC will be required or if the applicant is a businessman, a proof of the ownership of his/her business is needed
● In case any minors travelling, the school/College ID card and a No Objection Certificate (NOC) from parents along with their ID proofs will be required
9. Are there any specific requirements for a business visa in the US?
To be eligible for a B-1 visa, you must state the purpose of your trip to us for business clearly. You should also present sufficient proofs to the consular officer and be able to convince him about your stay for a limited period of time. A proof of sufficient funds along with the letter of employment and invitation letter will be the most useful in getting you a business visa.
10. How long can I stay in the US on a business visa?
The maximum stay period issued for both B1 and B2 visa is 180 days and the applicant can also be issued a visa that allows multiple entries into the US.
11. How can I renew my US visa?
Whether you are applying for a fresh visa application or renewing your about-to-expire visa, you will have to follow the same application process. However, some applicants seeking renewal in certain visa categories may be eligible for the Interview Waiver (IW) which allows the qualified people to apply for renewals without being interviewed in person by a U.S. consular officer. Find out if you are eligible or not here: https://in.usembassy.gov/visas/
12. Are there any COVID testing requirements for Indians to enter the US?
Starting on December 6, all passengers boarding a flight to the US, regardless of vaccination status, must show a negative COVID-19 test report taken no more than one day prior to flight’s departure to the United States. This requirement applies to all including the U.S. citizens, lawful permanent residents (LPRs) and foreign nationals.
13. I recently changed my name. Is my U.S. visa still valid with the old name or I have to reapply?
If your name has legally changed, you will need a new passport. Once you have the new passport, the Department of State recommends you to apply for a new U.S. visa to make the entire travelling process to and from the United States easier.
14. What happens in an embassy visa interview at the U.S. Consulate?
Upon arrival, your name, fingerprints and other biographical information will need to be run through various security and fraud checks. Once cleared, you will be assigned to meet one of the U.S. consular officers and present your documentation to them. It is a meeting conducted through a glass window, face to face so don’t expect a sit-down interaction. If you pass the interview, your visa is likely to be delivered to you through a courier service within the next 2-3 working days and you'll be asked to pick it up from the embassy on another day.
15. My visa is damaged. What should I do?
In the cases where the visa is stamped and issued by the embassy already and if in any way it has been damaged from your end, you will have to re apply for a new visa at the US Embassy or the Consulate office abroad.
16. Why does the US Embassy need my social media details?
Currently, the updated visa application form lists the specific social media platforms for which identifiers (any name used by a person on social media) are being requested. This is basically required for the security reasons as the US government wants to ensure that the visa applicants are the ones they claim to be and that they are being clear about their intents for coming to the US.
17. Is there any age bar for the US visa application?
Children below the age of 14 years and adults above 80 years are not obligated to visit the Consulate/Embassy for an interview and can submit the documents at the visa application centre.
18. How much funds do I need to show as proof for a US Visitor Visa?
On the record, there is no limit for the money to be shown for the US Tourist Visa as any amount that can validate the overall expenses for your US trip will suffice. These expenses must include return air tickets, medical insurance, lodging, shopping and more alike. However, it is suggested to show around 5000-10000 USD in your or sponsor’s bank to ensure ease of process.
14 Best Countries To Visit In Africa
Looking for the Top Tourist Countries in Africa? These 15 incredible Best Countries to Visit in Africa offer...
Top 20 Mind-blowing Things To Do In Vietnam For A Heart-filling Vacation
Vietnam a Southeast Asian country is a magnificent mix of natural attractions and cultural diversity It is one...
10 Best Beaches in Africa
There are countless numbers of breathtaking beaches in Africa - on the miles km of coastline that make...