Dook Guarantees an Efficient Visa Process
We make your urge to travel worthwhile with our visa expertise, robust methods and easy processes. Select your destination to know about the visa requirements.
South Africa Tourist Visa
Passport Issuing Country
Country of Residence
Visa On Arrival
Single Entry - 90 Days
Documents Required for South Africa Visa
- Original passport from an eligible resident country valid for at least 6 months, containing at least one blank page
- Duly filled visa application form
- 2 Colored passport-size photographs
- Proof of sufficient funds to manage expenses during the stay
- Return or onward travel ticket
- Document confirming the purpose and duration of the visit
- Adults travelling with minors under the age of 18 need to show the child’s birth certificate. If the child is travelling with one parent, it is also necessary to present a parental consent affidavit signed by the other parent
- Yellow fever vaccination certificate (only required if you have transited through the yellow fever belt of Africa or South America)
- A valid credit or debit card to pay the South Africa e-Visa fee ( if applicable)
South Africa Visa Eligibility Criteria
- It is mandatory to present a negative COVID-19 PCR test result no more than 72 hours before departure. Those who arrive without this test result/ medical certificate will be undergoing a rapid antigen test on arrival and must quarantine at their own expense
- All travellers (aged 5 and older) must complete a “Traveller Health Questionnaire” online within 2 days before departure or on arrival
- Anyone who displays COVID-19 symptoms must take a mandatory test. If the result is positive, they are obligated to undergo a 10-day quarantine at a designated site
- A valid passport for your intended stay is mandatory. This must be valid for at least 6 months from the intended arrival date and should contain at least one blank page
- The travellers must present proof of sufficient funds that would be required for the intended stay period in South Africa
- Yellow fever certificates if your journey starts or entails passing through the yellow fever belt of Africa or South America
- While applying for an e-Visa, the applicants must also answer a few security-related questions to submit the form and receive an approved e-Visa which is electronically linked to their passport
- Upon arrival, the passengers must also undergo medical screening
- The passenger will need to present the e-Visa along with their passport at the South African airport
- Travellers must install the COVID Alert South Africa mobile app on their phones
South Africa Visa Exemptions
- Self-isolation is not required if you have provided the negative PCR (polymerase chain reaction) test. Please note that Rapid Diagnostics Tests are not accepted currently
- The RT PCR test is mandatory for all passengers except those under the age of 5
- Children or adults with disabilities may be exempted from COVID-19 testing if testing proves to be a challenge
- Visa exemptions for nationals of France, Germany, Italy, Korea (Rep.), Portugal, Singapore, Spain, USA, for passengers with a Hong Kong (SAR China) passport and passengers with a British normal passport with nationality “British Citizen”, have been reinstated
- (The COVID-19 travel restrictions in South Africa are subject to change at short notice. Indian travellers must check the latest information before making any travel plans.)
South Africa Visa FAQs
Most nationalities/ foreign countries are required to pay a fee using a valid credit or debit card to complete the application. However, the South Africa e-Visa fee is currently waived off for Indian passport holders.
2. What is the currently allowed stay period on e-visa for Indians?
An approved e-visa for South Africa from India will allow the applicant to stay in the country for up to 60 days from the time of entry. It may be issued as either a single entry or multiple entry visas, depending on the intention of the stay.
3. Is it easy to get a tourist visa for South Africa?
If you want to visit South Africa, you must produce a valid visa along with the required documents before you can enter the country. A visa will be issued for a visit for tourism purposes (Visitor’s visa) and is valid for 90 days.
4. What if I want to overstay in South Africa?
Foreigners who overstay a South African visa risk being banned from entering the Republic of South Africa for 5 years and heavily penalised. To apply for an extension of the existing visa, you need to visit the nearest office of the South African Department of Home Affairs to file your application for an extension 60 days before the expiry of your current visa or contact the local Visa global centres in South Africa. However, please note that it is not guaranteed that the extension will be approved.
5. Are rapid test certificates (diagnosing the coronavirus symptoms) accepted in South Africa?
No. South Africa is only accepting a Polymerase Chain Reaction (PCR) test. The RT PCR test report is mandatory for all passengers showing results no more than 72 hours before departure.
6. What health protocols should Indians keep in mind when travelling to South Africa?
Travellers visiting South Africa will be expected to abide by the protocols which include compulsory wearing of masks at all times, practising social distancing in public spaces, regular washing or sanitizing of hands and presenting a negative COVID-19 test result not older than 72 hours from the time of departure.
7. Which airports will be opened for international air travel?
Currently, the international flights can only land at OR Tambo International (in Johannesburg, Gauteng), Cape Town International (in Cape Town, Western Cape) and King Shaka International in (Durban, KwaZulu-Natal).
8. Will Indians be subjected to the medical screening on arrival in South Africa?
Upon arrival, the traveller will be screened for any COVID-19 symptoms or for contact with people who have been infected with the virus. If the traveller shows any virus related symptoms or has been in contact with an infected person(s), he will be expected to take a mandatory RT PCR test. This test will be at the traveller’s cost. If the COVID-19 test comes out to be positive, the traveller will be subjected to a10-day quarantine at a designated site and the accommodation expenses will be at the traveller’s cost.
9. Is it mandatory to install COVID-Alert SA app? Where can I download the same?
Yes, it is one of the prerequisites. You may download the app on Apple App Store or Google Play Store before you arrive in South Africa or upon arrival.
10. Is public transportation operating?
Yes. Public rail, minibus taxi and bus services have resumed at reduced levels subject to social distancing and mandatory use of face masks for passengers and drivers. Operators and transport service providers are required to sanitize the vehicles before picking up and after dropping off passengers.
11. Do I need to present the Yellow fever certificate if I am travelling into the country from India?
Yellow fever certificates are only required if your journey starts or entails passing through the yellow fever belt of Africa or South America. If you are commuting without transiting from these zones, you can skip the process of carrying a yellow fever certificate.
12.What documents do I need to apply for a South Africa online visa?
To apply for the South Africa e-Visa, it is compulsory to have:
• An original passport valid for at least 6 months with one blank page left free for stamps
• Duly filled visa form
• Return or onward travel ticket
• A valid credit or debit card to pay the e-Visa fee for South Africa
• Proof of sufficient funds to cover the staying expense
• 2 passport size photographs
13. Do I apply for a new e-Visa if I have a new passport?
Yes. It is necessary to apply for a new e-Visa for South Africa because the passport number issued is directly linked with the visas issued thereby making it easier for the immigration officers/ consulates to grant/assess your visa application. If the applicant changes their passport, a fresh visa application needs to be filled.
Kyrgyzstan in Winter: Unfold the Silk Road Adventure in Snow
Kyrgyzstan, a winter wonderland, is one of the premier winter destinations on the list of top places to...
Skiing in Kazakhstan: An Adrenaline-rushing Experience for Ski Enthusiasts
Winter is just around the corner, and everyone must be planning their trips around the snowfall to experience...
Georgia in Winter: An Eternal Journey into Heaven
This winter wonderland has something for every traveler to delve into the adventure of snowdrift. In every part...